McKelvy House

Digitized photographic records of McKelvy House, an architectural landmark used by Lafayette College as a residence for student scholars.

Photographic record of McKelvy House, an architectural landmark used by Lafayette College as a residence for student scholars. The images document the 1888 McKim, Mead and White-designed house, originally known as Oakhurst, during its three periods of ownership—(1888-1914) as the home of the family of John Eyerman, who built the house and was briefly on the Lafayette faculty as a lecturer in mineralogy; (1914-1960) as the home of the family of Francis G. McKelvy, Lafayette trustee and chairman of Alpha Portland Cement; and (1962-present) as a residence for Lafayette’s “McKelvy Scholars.” Both interior and exterior images of the house are included, as well as extensive images of the gardens. The original Italianate garden was designed by the noted landscape architect Nathan Barrett, with a subsequent design executed in 1919 by the pioneering female landscape architect, Marian Cruger Coffin.

Works (211)

View results as:
Sort the listing of items  
List of items in this collection
  Title Date Added Visibility
  Public